LVISD Media Guidelines
La Vernia ISD will work cooperatively with the news media for coverage of issues, general news, and events involving the District. Please respect the following guidelines that will ensure the integrity of our instructional day and allow us to provide consistent, accurate information to media representatives.
The following guidelines are in effect at all LVISD campuses and/or facilities:
1. All media inquiries should be directed to the Director of Communications and Marketing at the LVISD Central Office.
2. The Director of Communications and Marketing must be contacted when a representative of the media visits LVISD in a journalistic capacity. If a media representative attempts to access an LVISD campus and/or facility without prior approval by the Director of Communications and Marketing, they will be asked to leave and redirected to the Director of Communications and Marketing for approval. District administrators will work with media members to determine appropriate locations, timeframes, and contact persons for approved media visits to LVISD.
3. Cameras and/or reporters will not be allowed on campuses, inside classrooms, or in other LVISD facilities unless appropriate administrators and staff are notified, and it is determined that such a visit will not be disruptive to the instructional day or other District operations.
4. Photographs and/or video of LVISD students, personnel, events, and facilities may be taken by the media at the discretion of campus or District administrators and the Director of Communications and Marketing. LVISD students and personnel may not be interviewed by the media without their express consent or the consent of a parent and/or legal guardian.
5. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) must be followed at all times by all members of the media regarding the publication of written content and/or visual media featuring LVISD students and families. Each LVISD campus has a list of students whose directory information, including names, addresses, and pictures, may not be released to the public per the request of their parent and/or legal guardian. Per FERPA policy, students under the age of 18 may not be interviewed by a member of the media at an LVISD campus or facility without the consent of a parent and/or legal guardian.
6. The Superintendent or his designee shall be the official spokesperson for La Vernia ISD.
Your cooperation in these matters is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Jordan Ziemer, Director of Communications and Marketing, at (830) 779-6600 or email@example.com.